Sunday, January 19, 2014

Chopping Up Old UFO Blocks

I needed wanted to make a last minute baby quilt for a friend of a friend.  I heard, and was very touched by, her story 2 days prior to her due date so I was in a rush. 
When I started thinking of what to do for a fast baby quilt I remembered seeing some of the awesome disppearing 9 patch quilts that Sandy from Quilting...for the rest of us has made.  That got me thinking that if you can chop up a finished 9 patch then why not chop up other completed blocks and see what I get.
I had some old UFO blocks in a box on the shelf. They were from my 3rd attempt at making a quilt and I was far from mastering the 1/4" seam allowance needed to make blocks that fit together correctly. My obsessive brain could not get ovet the fact that my seams didn't match up perfectly when piecing the blocks together so I gave up and threw them in a box.
I started with 4 of these blocks

Chopped them into 4 parts each.
Tried some different layouts

 Then said the heck with it and just tossed them around onto a white background fabric.  I decided that I liked the tossed look, so I pieced them together into wonky columns

Then added some polka dot sashing strips in between

I free-motion quilted loopy lines in the background and dot-to-dot (ala Angela Walters) in the squares

  Since I was in a hurry I wanted to attach the binding by machine but I usually don't like the look of machine binding because I can see the seam line. Also, I really suck at following a straight line so my machine bindings look especially terrible.  Then I found a tutorial on youtube for "piped" binding and the light-bulb went on. I used the polka dots with a yellow accent strip.

Wow, that was so easy and looks way better than my usual attempts at machine binding.

Now I only have 12 more of these old UFO blocks to repurpose

No comments:

Post a Comment